Western-Style Breakfast BurritoJuly 11, 2016
Hungry Man Benedict SandwichJuly 11, 2016
Windy City Spiced Biscuits And Gravy
-BAKING POWDER BISCUITS-
6 cups All-purpose flour
6 Tbsp. Baking powder
1/2 cup Sugar
1-1/2 Tbsp. Salt
1 cup Eggs, at room temperature
1-1/2 tsp. TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce
1-1/2 tsp. TABASCO® brand Green Jalapeño Pepper Sauce
1-1/2 tsp. Original TABASCO® brand Pepper Sauce
3-1/2 cups Buttermilk
1-1/4 cups Butter (or shortening), melted
1/2 gal. Whole milk
2 lbs. Sweet or mild sausage, divided
3 Tbsp. Butter
1/2 cup All-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce
1 Tbsp. Original TABASCO® brand Pepper Sauce
Salt to taste
White pepper to taste
Nutmeg, ground, optional to taste
1 ea. Red pepper, large
1 ea. Yellow pepper
1 tsp. Olive oil
1. To prepare Baking Powder Biscuits, sift dry ingredients together.
2. Mix eggs, vanilla, TABASCO® Chipotle Pepper Sauce, TABASCO® Green Jalapeño Pepper Sauce, Original TABASCO® Pepper Sauce and buttermilk together.
3. Mix dry and wet ingredients together to form a soft dough. Knead for a short time, making sure not to overwork the dough, and roll out to 1/2" thickness. Cut to desired size using a cutter.
4. Bake at 350°F until done, a golden brown. Brush with melted butter once removed from the oven.
5. To prepare Spiced Gravy, reduce milk over medium heat for about a half hour.
6. Roughly grind up 3/4 lb. of the sausage and sauté with butter in a separate pan until cooked.
7. Add flour until well combined with the fat and sausage, making a roux.
8. Add the reduced milk, 1/3 at a time and whisk together so there are no lumps. Make sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan.
9. Add Original TABASCO® Pepper Sauce, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Let the gravy mildly simmer for 1 hour for best taste. Cream can be added if the mixture becomes too thick.
10. Place the rest of the sausage in a 350°F oven until cooked through. Cooking time depends on the type of sausage used.
11. Julienne the red and yellow peppers, and sauté for 5-10 minutes in olive oil.
12. For each serving, place biscuits on plate and cover with gravy.
13. Cut the sausage on the bias and use sausage pieces and the peppers as garnish.
-Yield: 12 servings-