Red Eye BiscuitJuly 11, 2016
Roma Egg Sandwich With Tomato, Basil And ProvoloneJuly 11, 2016
2 cups All-purpose flour
4 ea. Eggs
2 cups Milk
1/4 tsp. Salt
-RED EYE GRAVY-
1/2 cup + extra Butter
2 cups Country ham, diced
2 cups Shallots, minced
2 pts. Chicken broth
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. Cornstarch
1/2 cup Bourbon
1/2 cup Coffee, prepared
2 cups Tomatoes, diced, seeded
2 Tbsp. Basil, fresh, roughly chopped
dash Cayenne pepper
3 tsp. TABASCO® brand Habanero Sauce
1 sheet Filo dough
1/2 oz. Original TABASCO® brand Pepper Sauce
1. To prepare Crêpes, place flour in a stainless steel bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, while constantly stirring. Add milk and salt and stir.
2. Butter an 8" nonstick pan then pour enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan (approx. 2 oz.). Cook one side until barely brown (approx. 2 minutes). Flip and repeat. Remove from pan and set aside until needed. To keep crêpes from sticking, place parchment paper in between.
3. To prepare Red Eye Gravy, melt 1/2 cup butter in saucepan and brown country ham. Add shallots, cooking for 5 minutes.
4. In a different container, combine chicken broth and cornstarch, whisking well. Add chicken broth mixture to saucepan, along with bourbon, coffee, tomatoes, basil, cayenne, and TABASCO® Habanero Sauce. Let simmer until the gravy thickens (until it coats the back of a spoon).
5. For the Garnish, julienne the filo dough. Deep-fry dough strips in 350°F oil, for approx. 2 minutes (strips should be crisp). Remove from oil and place in a stainless steel bowl. Toss fried dough strips with Original TABASCO® Pepper Sauce and set aside.
6. To assemble, for each serving, pour 6-8 oz. of prepared gravy into sauté pan. Fold crêpes in half, then in half again. Place 3 folded crepes in the pan. Bring gravy to simmer. Remove contents of pan to serving plate. Top with garnish.
-Yield: 16 servings-